IFWG
Please note the message on the home page about this site being closed.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

IFWG
Please note the message on the home page about this site being closed.
IFWG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Go down

Post by mysticat Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:28 pm

One word: Awesome!

James Cameron will rape the Oscars with the special effects this year.

The only negative thing about it was the storyline. I heard a critic on GMA say that it seemed that they were just shy of reaching a really deep meaning at the end, and I have to agree. Otherwise, really great movie! Fantastic scenery, unique creatures, characters, and plot.

mysticat
warming up
warming up

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrie Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:14 pm

I read a review of the movie recently that took an angle I'd never heard of. It said the movie has a White Guilt plot.

[White] guy joins [alien/American Indian/African/Asian/Aborigine/etc] culture, rises to become their leader, rebels against original [white] people and wins. Implying, I guess, that the [white] guy still gets to dominate, and the [alien/American Indian/African/Asian/Aborigine/etc] couldn't have hacked it without him.

Now that I have read that theme, I can think of other movies that are similar. The first that comes to mind is Quigley Down Under, with Tom Selleck. Lookit the American going and saving the Aborigines because they can't save themselves. Hmmm.

I'm not really on either side of this at this point. Possibly because all the [white] heroes are guys, and I still feel like a minority. Razz
Valkyrie
Valkyrie
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Back to top Go down