IFWG
Please note the message on the home page about this site being closed.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

IFWG
Please note the message on the home page about this site being closed.
IFWG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KnorraSky The Deception

3 posters

Go down

KnorraSky The Deception Empty KnorraSky The Deception

Post by gezza Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:13 am

I just finished reading KnorraSky The Deception by KS (RA Knowlton).

It was a terrible shame that I was so busy at work that I was not able to read KS' novel in one "hit", so to speak, and instead I read it in two time frames. It really was a book that was hard to put down.

I will state the down side first: KS' novel really needed a professional editor, and I apologise for having said this a few too many times before. But having said this, it really, really doesn't change the fact that the novel is a masterful creation. I will state some reasons why, but I will try to keep detail out of this critique so there are no spoilers.

1. The story has a good plot, but its strength is in characterisation, and in particular the Odyssey of the main character's personal conflicts. This was what the story is really about - how the mighty can fall and then come back stronger.
2. The story is not magic-rich - hardly at all. It really leans toward a realistic historical setting, but in a different world, but not entirely. Interestingly, the more "fantastical" happens in the second half of the novel.
3. KS has a great storytelling ability and the novel is full of emotion and tension for the characters. There are sacrifices, and villainy... all the sorts of things one wants from a fantasy.
4. KS is also a teacher. His story (as is a number of his shorts), imparts his views of what is right and wrong - not just in the simplistic evil vs good, but also on more subtle issues, such as religion, propaganda, honour, etc. He doesn't slap us in the face with it either - you have to be sensitive to pick this up.

All in all I enjoyed very much and I look forward to reading his next instalment. Good one, my friend!
gezza
gezza
Admin
Admin

http://gerryhuntman.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

KnorraSky The Deception Empty Re: KnorraSky The Deception

Post by TheDarkAvenger Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:53 am

I should really get around to reading everyone else's novels. Still haven't read OGO's either.
TheDarkAvenger
TheDarkAvenger
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Back to top Go down

KnorraSky The Deception Empty Re: KnorraSky The Deception

Post by knorrasky Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:35 pm

Thanks G!

The revised edition is corrected.
knorrasky
knorrasky
Admin