IFWG
Please note the message on the home page about this site being closed.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

IFWG
Please note the message on the home page about this site being closed.
IFWG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Time Traveler's Wife

3 posters

Go down

The Time Traveler's Wife Empty The Time Traveler's Wife

Post by SlashingUK Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:48 am

I was recommended to read The Time Traveler's Wife by a friend, not really knowing what I was letting myself in for.

While it's not exactly "fantasy" writing it does use one plot device (time travel) that puts it firmly in the speculative fiction category. That aside, this is purely a romance novel, but it certainly makes highly effective use of the central plot device.

I don't want to go into story details because there are a lot of easily "spoiled" plot set ups in the story. The central romance is very effectively written and the plot device is used to generate (if there is such a thing) romantic cliff-hanger after romantic cliff-hanger. If you've ever struggled to leave your readers on the edge of their seat, or to engage their passionate interest in your stories, I can recommend this book as a good read. I'll be honest, I've never read another romance story, so I can't compare on that basis, but the heart strings are very effectively pulled in this story.

It's an impressive feat of writing, carefully crafted in plot line, but dissappoints in the exposition of the mechanics of the time travel. There's some philosophising, but next to no science behind it. That's what happens when a sci-fi fan reads romance.

It's not a difficult read, but has brief forays into intellectualism in places. All in all it is a thoroughly readable novel. The build-up in plot is excellent, but I found the ending a little flat and predictable and could have been made a little stronger. Others may well disagree though.

Overall, I'm very glad I read this book and happy to reconsider my views on the romance genre as a result.

SlashingUK
Freshmen
Freshmen

Back to top Go down

The Time Traveler's Wife Empty Re: The Time Traveler's Wife

Post by gezza Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:34 pm

SU

Is this a published, or unpublished work?

Gez
gezza
gezza
Admin
Admin

http://gerryhuntman.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by knorrasky Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:10 pm

I have heard good stuff about that book on Amazon blogs.
knorrasky
knorrasky
Admin
Admin

http://www.knorrasky.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SlashingUK Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:11 pm

gezza wrote:SU

Is this a published, or unpublished work?

Gez
Sorry for the late reply, this book was published about a year ago, but the movie rights were purchased before publication.

SlashingUK
Freshmen
Freshmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down