IFWG
Please note the message on the home page about this site being closed.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

IFWG
Please note the message on the home page about this site being closed.
IFWG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Howdy!

5 posters

Go down

Howdy! Empty Re: Howdy!

Post by gezza Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:01 am

cheers!
gezza
gezza
Admin
Admin

http://gerryhuntman.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by wargood Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:21 pm

Sorry guys. All Armyspeak or American muscle car jargon. Randy's probably the only other one here who could have followed all that.
Basically, military shorthand for the units we served in, where, what we did and my rank. The second para listed things important only to muscle car guys: engine sizes (measured in cubic inches).

wargood
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDarkAvenger Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:39 am

Yeah, I'm lost.
TheDarkAvenger
TheDarkAvenger
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by gezza Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:06 pm

wow. a different language! Very Happy
gezza
gezza
Admin
Admin

http://gerryhuntman.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by wargood Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:33 pm

In from '95-'01: 17th Avn Bde, Korea; 54th Helicopter Ambulance, Lewis and Camp Doha, Kuwait; 17th Avn again, and finally 2/4 Avn, 4 ID at Hood. I was a Blackhawk crewchief, but never made it past CPL.
Was called back in '04 to be inserted in a Guard unit (shudder) for OIF, but got sent home early: non-comb med. Friend of mine from college is an ADA officer, since '91. Just made Lt Col.

Yes, the 454 was a place to start a build- not the best from the factory. The 455 made less HP but far more torque. Hwoever, it's a little harder to find BOP parts than Chevy. I've had 3 Fords and a Merc: 289, two 302s and a 351W- enjoyed them all. Currently driving a tired Grand National.

wargood
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Back to top Go down

Post by Skip454 Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:57 am

Thank you.

In '66 I was in the 16th Eng. BN. , 1st Armored (Old Ironsides) at Ft. Hood. Long ago. I switched to Herc missiles after 'Nam and to Ft. Bliss as a result. Went Patriot from '81 to '88 when I retired.

I preferred the 428, 429, and 460 plants for my Mustang. My reworked 351C was a lot of fun as well. The 454 p/w ratio was terrible without major rework.

Skip454

Back to top Go down

Post by wargood Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:01 pm

Welcome, Skip! You said 454 had no significance, but I immediately thought of the Chevy engine (I'm a Buick guy, and prefer the 455!) I, too am former Army (biggest mistake of my life was gettin' out) and my last unit was 4 ID at Hood. Have to say El Paso is far nicer than Killeen!

We're all boot-strap writers here, of various background, ability and creative bent. You're in the right place to learn from (and teach) some of the best unpublished/ barely published writers I've ever had the pleasure to meet. Looking forward to reading some of your work!

wargood
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Back to top Go down

Post by Skip454 Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:44 am

Hello DA.

Don't mind me, I am confused.

This should be no surprise because it took me a long time to figure out a button fits in the button hole, not my tongue or finger.

What is the next step to reducing my confusion?

Skip454

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDarkAvenger Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:41 am

Hi Skip, nice to see another new face Smile You can call me DA.
TheDarkAvenger
TheDarkAvenger
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by SlashingUK Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:18 pm

Hi Skip,

I'm glad you signed up. I read one of those stories, which was what led me to suggest you visit this site. Hopefully you can get into level 1 soon where you can join our writing circle.

Good luck

SlashingUK

SlashingUK
Freshmen
Freshmen

Back to top Go down

Howdy! Empty Howdy!

Post by Skip454 Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:31 am

Hello, I am called Skip or Skip454. No the 454 has no real significance except that there seem to be a lot of Skips out there.

I don't drink the hard stuff like prune juice, yet.

SlashingUK said I might want to drop by and say howdy.

I am 62 and male, I am also Retired U.S. Army and have been informed I have a dry sense of humor. I have been writing since I was a kid in school. Took my eleventh grade English teacher to finally figure out all the book reports I had been writing since fifth grade were figments of my imagination when she tried to find one she actually wanted to read. Well, maybe it was my tenth, been awhile.

I call myself a street level story teller as opposed to an accomplished or lettered writer. I take some tidbit that trips my trigger and write until I stop. If there seems to be anything of worth I go back through and try to edit it such that a coherent story emerges. (I call it linear writing)

One such project I call 'And we were Legend.' A series of seven stories in a sci-fi/romance/fantasy about blue-skinned female Amazon warriors on a lost planet who seem to like the Katana of ancient Japan. My first story took three days to write and three months to edit. It is still being revised as when I decided it was done, it was over 200,000 words long and a bit heavy in some x-rated areas.

Like anyone who applies words to paper or computer, I have my dreams and hopes but I fear my skills fall far short of ever being able to match them.

I am hear in the vain and self-serving hope of having a chance to improve my abilities so my Great Granddaughter may someday read my words and say "That was good."

I have a varied group of stories on Storywrite, most written for those silly contests they do which I find entertaining. I try to push the envelope of what they want. I think one or two may even have been read.

Skip454

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum